Fraud Prevention – Processing Credit Cards
Credit card processing online or card-not-present (keyed) merchants must take more precautions than merchants that process credit cards face-to-face, since they do not have the luxury of seeing the actual card or cardholder.
With internet merchant account transactions, there are a number of potential fraud flags to look out for:
- International shipping address -International banks (except Canada & UK) do not support address verification (AVS), so you need to be extra careful when shipping worldwide. Having the cardholder fax or email you a copy of their ID & credit card (front & back) is a good way to verify you are working with the real cardholder.
- Multiple orders placed on the same card in a short time period – someone could be attempting to “charge a card” until the account is shut down or overdrawn.
- Big ticket items – items that are easy to resell for big profits.
- First time shopper – scammers are always looking for new sites that are “card able” and don’t take fraud seriously.
- Multiple orders for a single IP address – If someone is placing multiple orders using multiple cards from the same IP address this should throw up a big flag.
- “Next day” shipping or “Rush” orders – Thieves want your product ASAP so they can accept delivery and resale before the fraudulent transaction is noticed or reported.
- Orders from customers that use free email services – Since these services involve no billing, the user has not been verified and cannot be tracked.
- Transactions placed on multiple cards but shipped to the same address – possible sign of a batch of stolen cards being used or account numbers being generated by a software program.
Here are some steps merchants can take to reduce the potential for fraudulent transactions:
- Always obtain an authorization code.
- Verify additional information on the card such as the expiration date, Card Verification Value 2 (CVV2), and address verification service (AVS). If the cardholder is unable to provide this additional information or it does not match up, it may mean they do not actually have the card on their person.
- Look for general warning signs (listed above).
- If you suspect fraud (but still obtained an authorization code), ask for additional information (the name of the financial institution that issued the card), contact the cardholder directly, confirm the order by sending a note to the customers billing address first (if shipping address is different), and have the cardholder fax or email you a copy of their ID & credit card.
- Contact your processor ASAP to report suspicious activity
Two fraud protection tools you should use are:
Address Verification Service (AVS) -Most software & terminals support AVS on all “keyed” transactions. AVS verifies that the street number and zip code being used as the billing address matches up with the actual address on the cardholder’s credit card billing statement.
Card Verification Value 2 (CVV2) – 3 digit number found on the back right side of all Visa, MasterCard, and Discover cards used as an additional way to verify that the customer placing the order has the card in hand. On American Express the CVV2 code is 4 digits and is located on the front top right of the card.
Need immediate assistance? Complete this form or call us today at 888-383-8056.
Recent Blog Posts
Marijuana, Cannabis Dispensary Merchant Accounts Virginia
Virginia Marijuana Dispensary Merchant Accounts The Transaction Group (TTG) offers merchant accounts for Virginia marijuana dispensaries. If you’re looking for a dispensary credit card processing [...]
Marijuana, Cannabis Dispensary Credit Card Processing Virginia
Virginia Marijuana Dispensary Credit Card Processing Virginia marijuana dispensary credit card processing services. TTG offers the best merchant account solutions & payment options for cannabis [...]
Credit Card Processing Alaska Marijuana Dispensary
Credit Card Processing Alaska Marijuana Dispensary Are you ready to stop operating as cash-only and get set up with credit card processing and banking services at [...]
Illinois Marijuana Dispensary Merchant Account Services
Illinois Marijuana Dispensary Merchant Account Services Do you own or manage a medical or recreational marijuana dispensary in Illinois and looking for merchant account services to [...]
Credit Card Processing Marijuana Dispensary Illinois
Credit Card Processing Marijuana Dispensary Illinois Are you ready to stop operating as cash-only and get set up with credit card processing and banking services [...]
Cannabis ATM Services Chicago, IL., Marijuana Dispensary
Chicago, IL Marijuana/ Cannabis Dispensary ATM Services Are you in need of ATM services or a machine for your Chicago, IL., marijuana dispensary? The Transaction Group (TTG) has got you [...]
Nevada Marijuana Dispensary Merchant Account Services
Nevada Marijuana Dispensary Merchant Account Services Do you own or manage a medical or recreational marijuana dispensary in Nevada and looking for merchant account services to [...]
Nevada Marijuana Dispensary Credit Card Processing
Nevada Marijuana Dispensary Credit Card Processing Do you own or manage a medical or recreational marijuana dispensary in Nevada? Are you tired of operating as [...]
Are you shopping for a better rate? Let us save you money!
Most merchants are unaware that interchange rates are adjusted as much as 2x per year. Over the course of several years, those adjustments can hike up a merchant’s rate and cost the merchant thousands in processing fees. Contact us via the form above, or call us today at 888-383-8056. Chances are, we can save you up to 25% over your existing rates and fees!
Why do businesses choose to work with The Transaction Group?
- We aim for 100% customer satisfaction. We understand that the customer comes first. At the end of the day, if the customer is not happy, we’re not happy.
- We offer a FREE rate analysis to every business. In most cases, we can save a business up to 25% on existing rates and fees. But if we can’t beat a customer’s rate, we’re upfront from the start. We don’t waste the customer’s time.
- We are reliable and always available. If a customer has any concerns, we’re available even after business hours. We’ll address any issues immediately.
- We don’t believe in one-size-fits-all.We provide solutions based on the specific requirements of each and every business. What’s best for one small business may not work for another.
- We have a fast & easy setup process. In most cases, we offer a fast and easy approval and set up. While some high risk businesses can have longer underwriting times, we keep the customer informed throughout the process and work for fast approvals.
- We have solutions for every business type. From low-risk card-present credit card processing solutions to payment processing solutions for high risk e-commerce stores, we’ve got it all.